Canon has released a captivating virtual reality (VR) video that aims to immerse viewers in a state of tranquility through adorable rescue kittens. The nearly seven-minute-long video serves as a technical demonstration for the Canon EOS R5 C and the Dual Fisheye Lens, showcasing their capabilities in the realm of VR.
Launched in January 2022, the EOS R5 C is a hybrid camera that combines Canon’s stills technology with powerful cinema features. It stands out among camera manufacturers for its active cooling system, ensuring optimal performance during extended video shoots. Meanwhile, the Dual Fisheye Lens, released in October before the R5 C, offers a unique addition to Canon’s full-frame lens lineup. With two 5.2mm f/2.8 lenses, it enables the capture of stereoscopic 3D, 180-degree VR footage using a single image sensor.
The VR video, which Canon describes as a “masterpiece,” was created in collaboration with feline photographer Andrew Marttila and VR content creators Hugh Hou and Keeley Turner. Its purpose is to demonstrate the ease and clarity with which creators can produce VR video content using the Canon EOS R5 C and Dual Fisheye Lens.
Viewers can experience the guided meditation video on Canon’s YouTube channel without the need for a VR headset. Set against a soothing pink pastel dreamscape, the video transports viewers into a world where rescue kittens frolic, play, and relax. Accompanied a calming voiceover, the video emphasizes the importance of joy and play in our lives, as demonstrated our furry companions.
For those interested in exploring further content created with the Dual Fisheye Lens, Canon has also shared a dance video that was released alongside the initial launch of the lens.
This VR video not only demonstrates the technical prowess of the Canon EOS R5 C and Dual Fisheye Lens but also serves as a heartwarming reminder of the joy and happiness that kittens can bring into our lives.
– VR (virtual reality): a simulated experience that can be similar to or completely different from the real world, typically through the use of special electronic equipment.
– Hybrid camera: a camera that combines features and capabilities of both still photography and cinema cameras.
– Dual Fisheye Lens: a lens system that captures stereoscopic 3D, 180-degree VR footage using two fisheye lenses and a single image sensor.
– Canon EOS R5 C: Canon website
– Dual Fisheye Lens: Canon website
– Andrew Marttila (@iamthecatphotographer): Instagram profile
– Hugh Hou: VR content creator
– Keeley Turner: VR content creator